Resume DetailPurchased, Check Out
Senior Oracle Database Application Developer
Professional Experience spans more than 30 years in varied hardware and software environments reflecting the leading edge of the evolving data processing market; specializing in technically challenging assignments and meeting tight deadlines.
Databases: Sybase, oracle, VSAM, Adabas, PACE, Total, RBase, Access, SQL Server, sqlite
Hardware: DEC VAX 8300, IBM 370, IBM PC, Macintosh, RS600, Next, MicroVAX,
Wang VS, HP 48G Operating Systems: CMS, DOS/JCL, ISPF/PDF, MVS, OS/JCL, TSO, UNIX, Roscoe, VSE, Motif,
Wang DMS, Windows, IOS
Programming Languages: C, COBOL, FORTRAN, Pace, X-Windows, EZTrieve Plus, Natural, PDL,
Mozart, Visual Basic, C++, RPN, TSQL, PL/SQL, HTML, Java, Perl, UML,
XML, C#, XCode, Objective-C
Software: MS Office, AIC, Expeditor, Nextstep, CICS, Millennium, MS Project, Access,
Geolog, MS Office, Power Designer, TOAD, JBuilder, Smart Draw, oracle
Enterprise Manager, SQL Server Enterprise Manager, Wonderware, OPC
Client, Clear Case, Sun Creator, .Net, Spring, Struts, NHibernate, JDeveloper, TOAD for oracle, Primavera
2001 Java Programming Language
GE Access, San Francisco, CA
2000 Developing Web Based Applications with PL/SQL
oracle Training Center, Bellevue, WA
1999 oracle for Application Developers
oracle Training Center, Bellevue, WA
1992 Sybase and Transact SQL Training
MicroAge Learning Center, Anchorage AK
1990 Next Developers School
Redwood City, CA
1988 CS 109 - C Programming Language
University of Alaska Anchorage [UAA]
1987 Technical Writing
University of Alaska Anchorage [UAA]
1982 Master of Business Administration - Finance
Minor - Management Information Systems
Sate University of New York at Albany [SUNYA]
1979 Bachelor of Science - Interdisciplinary Science
Minor - Philosophy of Science
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute [RPI]
Professional Experience and Accomplishments:
- Software Developer: Worked on upgrading the TSA NoFly Server for Northern Air Cargo using an improved data feed. As part of this project, I resolved a funky issue where SQL Server was opening a new port an establishing a new connection for every recordset by abandoning ADODB and replacing the calls with ADO .Net.
Also began work on writing a new replication server for Alyeska Pipeline that will distribute the production database half hourly data across multiple databases to allow the production database to be moved on to the control network and a new reporting database to be placed in the DMZ where the data will be accessible via the corporate network. The server is being written in C# and ODP .Net.
Jan 2012 Present
- Automation Analyst: Supporting and updating legacy automation software using Aspentech IP.21 real time databases. Upgrading server based C++ external tasks and .Net (VB and C#) client based applications in an effort to migrate the Aspentech database from release 7.1 to release 7.3, the server environment from Windows 2003 to Windows 2008, and the client environment from Windows XP to Windows 7, and various releases of Visual Studio to Visual Studio 2013.
Also currently supporting and developing both server and client IP21 applications. As part of my development work, created a moveable cork board that can contain up to 10 detail displays across multiple host IP21 databases.
Jun 2012 ? Oct 2014
- Leak Detection Analysis: The current low flow conditions on the Trans-Alaska Pipeline have caused a change in the flow characteristics of the oil within the pipeline. I performed an analysis on the current Leak Detection Effectiveness of the Line Volume Balancing (LVB) leak detection algorithms used by Alyeska Pipeline. The analysis was followed up with simulations using improved oracle PL/SQL algorithms and recent historic flow data. As a result of the Analysis and Simulations, I collaborated on preparing proposals for updating the current LVB leak detection algorithms and creating a new leak detection system Interface application for the pipeline operators.
In 2013, I implemented the improved leak detection algorithms. The new algorithms increased the accuracy of the LVB system as well as decreasing the number of false alarms.
In 2014, I made further improvements to the reliability an accuracy of the LVB system by applying the whole pipeline LVB algorithm to the segments as well. After running simulations, we were able to add alarm attribution analysis and reports to the LVB system that would help pinpoint and determine the cause of an imbalance.
Sep 2011 ? Dec 2011
- Automation Specialist III: Developed Automation software using Aspentech IP.21 SQLPlus to trace causes for device shutdowns and report on "Not For Cause" shutdowns. The reports and displays developed were part of a pilot program which may be expanded to a large portion of the North Slope automation in Prudhoe Bay.
- Apple iPad Developer: Registered as an Apple iPhone/iPad developer and undertook an independent project to publish a useful iPad program. Designed and developed the Idea Center, a brainstorming and document generation application. The initial release of the sqlite based application was accepted by Apple and added to the App Store in June 2011. The application was written using XCode and Objective-C in the Cocoa programming environment with an sqlite database back-end.
Mar 2011 - Jul 2011
- Data Architect/Developer: Designed, developed and deployed a system to synchronize data between an in-house oracle based Job management System and oracle?s Primavera scheduling system. The system employs the Primavera java API to populate the project, WBS and activity tables with well intervention activities. The system is being built as a bridge to a total conversion to the Primavera scheduling system. The interface program was written in Java and the supporting maintenance web pages were written in C#.
2010 - May 2011
- Software Developer: Designed and programmed an automated service to download the TSA No Fly lists and processes the employee lists against the No Fly, Selectee and Cleared lists. Also developed web pages web pages to check jump seat passengers and perform system administrative tasks. The service and web pages were written in C# with a SQL Server 2005 backend. The system was delivered with a full system manual and is currently in user testing.
- Software Developer: Wrote an import function for the DOT (Department of Transportation) Access 2007 program to import manifest data from an oracle based cargo manifesting system into the DOT Reporting Access database.
Oct 2009 - Jun 2010
- Software Architect/Developer: Performed the Application Portfolio Management Phase II enhancements. Gathered requirements from the Architects for a Phase II enhancement that focused on adding technical obsolescence functionality based on software component support dates. Designed and programmed a virtual data item capability that allowed the architects to create dynamic data items based on the values of one or more other data items; also extended the diagramming functionality to allow the architects to create more generic diagrams that may traverse the hierarchical taxonomy structure in both directions. Also added database synchronization features to allow the program to import data from external databases.
Nov 2008 - Jun 2009
- Software Architect/Developer: Re-engineered the Application Register program into a VB .NET application and expanded its functionality into an Application Portfolio Management tool. The database was designed to allow the tool to be data driven to the point that new hierarchies and metadata items can be created on the fly. The program dynamically creates Visio diagrams of the transaction pipes with respect to time as a near term deliverable. General reporting and trending was handled through the creation of a Business Objects Universe.
Feb 2008 - Oct 2008
- Software Architect/Developer: Worked as part of a team that designed and built a prototype Key Mapping System that managed the authoring and synchronization of key values with a central key lookup service. The key lookup service provided key value translations between programs within the larger organization. The .Net System is written in C# with an oracle 10G backend. The user interface was designed as a web application.
- Software Developer: Wrote an application register program using Rapid Application Development (RAD) techniques. The application is written as an Excel workbook with an SQL Server backend. The program manages the creation, distribution and recording of application survey interviews.
- Software Developer: Re-engineered a couple of Access 95 applications into a unified VB6 Stock Transfer and Oil Reporting application for use in Switzerland. The application was engineered for multi-lingual usage and globalized settings. The application allows the users to enter their own translations for application titles, labels and messages.
- Data Architect: Enhanced the Life Cycle Modeling Tool that I developed in 2006. The Tool was modified to generate UML State diagrams in XML format and to generate an XSD business object payload based on the logical Data model to Life Cycle Event mappings. The application is now being prepared for production implementation at the client site.
2006 - 2010
- Weights and Balances: Customizing a Weights and Balances Program on HP 48G hand held calculators for loading cargo on 737s. The modified program allows for variable floor and ULD configurations. The program along with a system and user manual were submitted to the FAA for approval. I am providing ongoing maintenance when changes are made to the fleet of aircraft.
2004 - Present
- Support and Development: Provided continuing support for oracle based pipeline historical reporting system. As part of this support I have continued to reengineer mainframe applications into oracle based client server architecture. Also designed and programmed interfaces to a new SCADA system and a new custody transfer ticket accounting system.
- Data Architect: Performed Life Cycle Model analysis on business objects as part of a pilot program. The LCM analysis was integrated with an effort to produce an Enterprise Data Warehouse, a Conceptual Data Model, an Enterprise logical Data Model, CSL (Messaging) development and a Business Data Dictionary. Designed and Developed a VB application which managed the metadata from the LCM analysis and the integration mapping between the work streams. The application also auto-generated LCM reports, Use Cases, Event Flow Diagrams, Comparison reports and Lineage Reports in Word, Visio and Excel output formats.
- Software Evaluation: Evaluated the efficacy of the text summarization tool, KODA. KODA was developed for the NSA and is part of a set of technologies that the US government is trying to market to US industry through the TechLink Center at the University of Montana. As part of the evaluation process, I developed a questionnaire program that prompted respondents for demographic information and textual responses to thought provoking questions. The responses were grouped by responder and demographics to provide a rich set of similar input files for the KODA software to parse into key summarization sentences.
- SleepLab Scheduling: Replaced an in-house Access application with a VB frontend and an SQL Server backend. The new system features enhanced scheduling of doctors, facilities and patients.
- Aircraft Maintenance Invoicing: Designed and developed a java based thin client invoicing system for a monthly aircraft maintenance contract using oracle as the backend database. The invoices are written and distributed in PDF format for portability and security.
2002 - 2004
- Pipeline Historical Applications: Designed and developed an oracle database to replace the legacy INFOS database for the historical data and applications on an oil pipeline. The project also involved replacing all of the legacy historical applications and reporting. The processing and applications are written using oracle PL/SQL, C++, Perl, and VB. The reports system delivers reports in TEXT, CSV and XLS formats via FAX, FTP and EMAIL.
- RGV Valve Replacement: Wrote the HMI (Human Machine Interface) to a process control system. Data from the valves and meters is gathered as OPC data from the PLC. The interface was written using Wonderware and was part of an ether-net upgrade project for an 800 mile pipeline. The software featured a fail-over channel (satellite) to provide redundancy in the event of a fiber break.
- DOT Reporting Program: Replaced an out of date dBase DOT mileage and revenue reporting system with an Access based application.
2001 - 2002
- ICE Trading: Designed and developed an electronic oil trading application that accesses the Intercontinental Exchange (ICE). Performed a proof of concept exercise for the client prior to commencing with the full development effort. The system was written using Java, oracle, oracle Advanced Queuing, UNIX, VBA and Excel.
2000 - 2001
- Weights and Balances: Customized a Weights and Balances Program on HP 48G hand held calculators for loading cargo on 727s. The new program included a print routine that would send the results to a hand held printer while the plane was being loaded. This program has been currently approved by the FAA for a trial period.
1999 - 2000
- WANG VS to oracle Migration: Wrote extract programs to pull data from a WANG VS PACE database, convert and reformat the data, and write the output to sequential files. Also wrote programs to populate the new oracle database a batch at a time.
- Data Warehouse Archive: Designed and wrote a Data Warehouse application to store legacy data that was not being transferred to the new Accounting system. The application is a read only Access application indexed for speedy data retrievals.
1994 - 2000
- MIDAS MI Control: Tasked with the role of technical Lead on a project to further enhance the MIDAS system and merge the development and production systems into a single version of MIDAS.
- ATDB and PDB to Finder Migration: Tasked with the role of technical Lead on an integration project where the databases from ARCO and BP will be combined into a third party database. The project involved analyzing the legacy database dependencies of in-house and third party applications and migrating these applications to the new database. Designed and created a migration database to store the column mapping from one database to another. Also created an application to enter the mapping and generate Perl migration programs, legacy views and oracle Insert packages to perform the migration.
- OMS Re-engineering: Tasked with the job of redesigning the troubled, yet key oil movements system application. Provided the client with clear presentations on the problems and proposed solutions. The final re-engineered system went into production on July 12, 2000.
- Project Resource: Tasked with the duties of an Enterprise project resource. Primarily used to aid projects that were in trouble due to technical difficulties or personnel shortages. Worked for four different clients in 1999 alone. Also used as technical resource by fellow employees on a daily basis.
- Midas Optimization: Performed the duties of Technical Lead and Lead Programmer on this project. Duties included writing the project brief, designing and performing enhancements to the database, programming the modifications to the PC front-end (ACCESS and VBA), programming modifications to the Unix MIDAS simulation engine (Perl) and directing the programming efforts of the other programmers on the project. This project is still in progress.
- Fluid Surveillance Tool: Performed the duties of Technical Lead and Lead Programmer on this project. Duties included writing the project brief, designing and creating the database, programming the PC front-end (ACCESS and VBA) and directing the programming efforts of the other programmers on the project. The system is used to update and validate actual fluid interpretation and prediction data.
- Common Plotting Environment: Performed the duties of Technical lead on this project. Directed the programming efforts of several programmers who were writing a Visual Basic plotting application that would replace old FORTRAN Code Unix plots. When the main programmer left CTG, took over direct programming responsibility, incorporated the disparate pieces of the system, finished the snapshot report, and programmed the final user requested enhancements and fixes.
- Log Server: Performed the duties of Technical lead on this project. Directed the programming efforts of programmers who were writing a server for fetching log data from the Geolog application. The server was written as a Sybase ESP server which executed 3GL (C++) code. Finished the coding and testing when the programmer left CTG.
- Midas Synchronization Design: Designed a system to integrate the workings of the MIDAS simulation engine and the FFM (Full Field Model Simulation). The output of each simulation is used to feed the other simulation. The synchronization was achieved through the use of semaphores and shared memory (UNIX). As part of this effort, the Design of the MIDAS Optimization effort was also included.
- MIDAS: (Miscible Injectant Distribution and Allocation System). Performed the duties of Technical Lead and Lead Programmer on this project. Duties included writing the project brief, designing and creating the database, programming the PC front-end (ACCESS and VBA) and directing the programming efforts of the other programmers writing the UNIX simulation engine (Perl).
- RMBPAT: (Reserve Management Business Planning Application Tool). Performed the duties of Technical Lead and Lead Programmer on this project. Duties included writing the project brief, designing and creating the database, programming the spreadsheets (VBA) and directing the programming efforts of the other programmers on the project. The system is used to track and report yearly Oil Reserves.
- Vital Statistics: Performed the duties of Project Manager and Technical Lead on this project. Converted a number of interlinked spreadsheets into a cohesive Database accessed by a few spreadsheets and Neuron Data data entry screens. The spreadsheets accessed BP and ARCO data (across the gateway) to create monthly management charts, graphs and reports.
- XPI: As a Senior Programming Analyst for a major oil company, was responsible for maintaining and enhancing a graphical well plotting and correlation system. The system was written in C and FORTRAN. It ran in UNIX and accessed Sybase databases through the use of stored procedures. Also, as part of installing the product in Aberdeen, Scotland, developed a conversion program generator to aid in converting data between releases of database versions.
1993 - 1994
- As a Senior Programming Analyst for an electric company, was responsible for design, develop, implement and document a Labor Data Collection system which would interface with the Payroll, Common Transactions and Work Management systems. The work was done using DOS JCL, COBOL, CICS, Millennium and Eztrieve Plus. After the mainframe system was completed, A PC GUI front-end was written using Mozart.
1992 - 1993
- As a Senior Programming Analyst for an electric company, was responsible for design, development, implementation and documentation of a Work Management Tracking and budgeting database to track expenditures by work order and budget at Chugach Electric. Also developed a set of productivity tools for use with Millennium.
1991 - 1992
- As a Senior Programming Analyst for an electric company, worked to design, develop, implement and document a common transaction database to tie together company-s various systems and feed the new General ledger system. The work was completed ahead of schedule due to a heavy emphasis on Eztrieve Plus.
- As a Senior Programming Analyst for a state commission on post-secondary education, was responsible for the software maintenance on outstanding service requests. Also designed and supervised the implementation of a Production to Test Data Transfer system. Completed the coding and testing of the data conversion for the Alaska Commission on Post Secondary Education. Scheduled and ran the conversion on the state mainframe. The conversion was highly successful with a rejection rate of less than .25%
1990 - 1991
- As a Senior Programming Analystfor the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, designed, developed, implemented and documented the REGDIS database for the Regulatory arm of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. The system was a combined database and imaging tracking system for tracking the Permitting and Enforcements actions performed by the Corps. The system was written in PACE and COBOL on a WANG VS 7110.
1990 - 1991
- As a Data Processing Consultant for a house wares wholesaler, was responsible for customizing a Payroll package including a total rewrite of the timecard entry program as well as modifications to the vacation accruals and several reports.
1990 - 1991
- As a Data Processing Consultant for a State Agency, was responsible for writing a nightly download from the State AKSIS database on an IBM Mainframe to the FACTS WANG database to keep the Agency's database up to date with Budget Information.
1990 - 1991
- As a Senior Programmer/Analyst for a State Agency, was responsible for customizing a loan package written by Information Associates. The completed system was installed as an ADABAS system on the State IBM Mainframe.
- As a Database Analyst for a county in California, was responsible for modifying an existing PACE Civil Court Case tracking database and performing software maintenance on outstanding service requests. Was also given the role of project leader on a team of three analysts.
- As a Programmer/Analyst for a State Agency, was responsible for writing the General Design, The Detailed Design, creating the Database, programming and writing the system and user manuals for Vital Statistics system. The system featured a matching double entry system with automated query letters generated for questionable entries and automated audit trails.
1988 - 1989
- As a Data Processing Consultant for a house ware wholesaler, was responsible for performing a requirements analysis for hardware and software to replace the Accounting, Order Entry and Inventory Control programs on an NCR 9020. Also prepared an RFP which resulted in the system being successfully converted to operate on a DEC Microvax III.
1988 - 1989
- As a Programmer/Analyst for the Financial Information Systems department of a municipality, was responsible for software maintenance and on outstanding service requests. Also developed a general bank reconciliation system for cash receipts and bank deposits.
1987 - 1989
- As a Project Analyst for an Air Cargo company, was responsible for developing an Air Cargo System based on the specifications determined in the Requirements Definition and Conceptual design phases. The project employed a prototyping development approach using a mixture of PACE, COBOL and Procedure Language on a Wang VS 7210.
- As a Project Consultant for a PC retailer, was responsible for troubleshooting the conversion of the order entry and inventory control functions to an automated process on a Novell IBM PC network and writing a procedure manual to supplement the software package documentation.
- As a Project Analyst for an Air Cargo company, was responsible for performing an extensive requirements definition as well as a software search for the cargo and accounting operations.
1984 - 1986
- As a Programmer II for a telecommunications company, was responsible for performing software maintenance and outstanding service requests on the monthly billing system.
- As a Programmer for an airline, was responsible for developing and maintaining Air Cargo, Accounting, Customer Billing, Frequent Flyer and Financial reporting programs.
- As a Business Programming Consultant for a marketing research firm, was responsible for developing market research software tools on an IBM PC.